Thursday, June 23, 2011

"In The Jungle, The Mighty Jungle"

13 DAYS LEFT BEFORE WE LEAVE FOR AFRICA!!

I cannot believe that it's less than two weeks before my team and I leave for Uganda, Africa. I can't wait to hold the orphan babies, take a boat ride down the Nile and see some exotic animals (except for the exceptionally large spiders, of course). It seems like only yesterday I made the decision to go and it's here already!! I'm getting excited but there is so much to be done before we head out. The team consists of our leader Tina, her two sons, four others, and myself. We had planned a benefit concert/silent auction for this past Tuesday to help raise money for the trip but under circumstances out of our hands, it got cancelled. It's so hard to put in so much work for a great cause and have it taken away in a second like it was. We all have to keep in mind that God must have a plan. We will keep pushing forward towards our goal and remember the reason we are doing this :) So we have rescheduled just the silent auction (man, we have some good stuff) for next Tuesday, June 28th at Jonathan's Grille here in Franklin. We are also getting together vbs songs and crafts, devotionals from each team member, crafts to teach the orphans while we're there, and packing of food, vitamins, crocs, etc. The team is also supposed to be preparing their hearts before we go by reading Psalms each day.

I've decided that for the next 12 days, I will share with you a favorite psalm that I read in this process. I have also come across so many songs (duh) that relate to what I'm doing and what the team is trying to accomplish as a whole. So I will post these two things each day, follow along if you'd like :) It will be a fun journey. We'll start now..


PSALM FOR THE DAY:

Psalm 121

A song of ascents.

1 I lift up my eyes to the mountains
where does my help come from?
2 My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

3 He will not let your foot slip
he who watches over you will not slumber;
4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The LORD watches over you
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
6 the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.

7 The LORD will keep you from all harm
he will watch over your life;
8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.


(I love this so much because it's reminding us: God is with you at all times! He never sleeps, He never looks away, He watches over you day and night. Verses 1 and 2 are my favorite. I ask myself where my help comes from, it comes from the Maker of Heaven and Earth. He can do anything, He is everything, so why do we worry? He knows our story, He knows our life. Those two verses are also in one of my favorite Christian songs, "Praise You In This Storm" by Casting Crowns. This song is/was so important to me bc when my uncle was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease years ago, this song pulled us out of many a doubt. It didn't matter why it was happening, we had to praise God through the bad times as well and have faith that he had an overall reason and plan for that. Now, I can use it as a testimony, as a place where I've seen God work, )

SONG OF THE DAY:

Casting Crowns- "Praise You In This Storm"

I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm




So, I guess while I'm preparing my heart, I can help prepare yours for something else. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Mae xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I love this!! and I love you!! I am so excited to read your blogs from now until you leave for Africa. I can't wait to hear your favorite Psalms. Have I told you how proud I am of you lately?? SO PROUD. I can't wait to hear and see pictures of all of the amazing things you will do in Africa. Love you friend!!
    Callie

    For some reason it won't post the comment, it keeps saying anonymous.. silly

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i see it's you cal!! thank you so much :) LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete